Online Fabric Shop

Online Fabric Shop
Click image to enter the shop

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Why Quilt?

Have you ever asked yourself, “why do I quilt?”  I’m a quilter, I have friends who are quilters, my mother-in-law was a wonderful quilter and I’ve met many people throughout my life who are quilters. But what is it that motivates people to quilt? Is it to make blankets to keep us warm, to create something to hang on the wall for people to admire, is it something we do to simply occupy our spare time or is it something else?
Recently, to pass the time during a long drive, my husband and I decided to check out an audio book on cd from the library. We couldn’t quite decide what book to get until my husband came across a book cd titled, The Quilters Homecoming, by Jennifer Chiaverini. Now, it didn’t surprise me that my husband, who is not a quilter but comes from a long line of quilters, would be interested in this book. The book, In a word, was great, we both loved it and we are now listening to Jennifer’s, The Sugar Camp Quilt.
Now I can speak only from listening to The Quilter’s Homecoming (Narrator Christina Moore) but if you are one of those quilters who has ever wondered what it is about quilting that makes you want to cut fabric into little pieces and then meticulously sew them all back together again in a completely different pattern…you will want to read or listen to one of Jennifer Chiaverini’s books. She is most definitely a quilter, a wonderful author and most important, she is very familiar with the phrase, “a labor of love.” Quilting is truly a labor of love.
When you get a chance:


No comments:

Post a Comment