Online Fabric Shop

Online Fabric Shop
Click image to enter the shop

Friday, April 15, 2011

Infinite Variety: Thee Centuries of Red and White Quilts,  the quilt show I blogged about earlier inspired me to finish a redwork quilt I started in 2001.  Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since I've even looked at these blocks.  This will also be another UFO I'll be completing this year.  The box held all the embroidered blocks and the pieced setting squares which I pieced together last night.  I don't know what took me so long to finish this quilt, I really like it now that it's up on the design wall.   I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do for the borders.  I have some of the red fabric left but, I'm very limited on the ivory and I'll never match it after all these years. I'll come up with something though, I just need to think about it for a few days.

The layout patttern and some of the tracings are from the Quilts & More Redwork book by Laurene Sinema.

Redwork became propular in the late 1870's whenTurkey Red was the craze. The root from the Madder plant was used to create the secret recipe for the "Turkey Red" dye.  The durabilty and color fastness of the dye were highly valued back then and attributed to it's popularity. It reached it's peak of popularity between 1888 and 1935. As other colors or embroidery thread became available redwork lost it's popularity. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this quilt. It is going to be one of your favorites, I am certain.

    ReplyDelete